During the Nintendo Press Conference at the Electronic Entertainment Expo 2011, Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime revealed their newest gaming console and the successor to their Wii console. The new console is called Wii U (pronounced as Wee-You) and according to Reggie Fils-aime this is the perfect fit for the individual user as to the Wii where it focuses on the game-together theme.
The revelation of the game controller was more surprising, as it features a touch screen, tablet-like device with game button on both ends. The controller will also feature motion controls similar to the original Wii remote. One of the cool features of the Wii U controller is that the touchscreen can feed videos from the TV and vice-versa, another cool feature is you can use a stylus on the screen and can be used as a drawing pad.
The Wii U will now feature High Definition quality games, a lot of third party games are in the works, games like Aliens: Colonial Marines, Assassin’s Creed, Ninja Gaiden: Razor’s Edge, Darksiders II, Ghost Recon Online, Battlefield 3 and DiRT.
Other notable specs of the Wii U include:
- The console is backward compatible to Wii games (except for Gamecube games).
- Internal flash-based storage, the storage can be upgradeable via SD cards and USB.
- Up to four Wii remote can be connected, all Wii controllers are support.
- The console is powered by IBM Power-based multi-core processor.
- HD display, can reach up to 1080p resolution.
- Games can be available as downloadable content.
- Will be using 12 cm. iDensity discs, which have large capacity of data.
The release date is scheduled around April 2012 to December 2012, you can check the announcement trailer of the Wii U from IGN: