This October 1 and 2, 2011, prepare for the biggest and most exciting cosplay event in the country! Cosplay.ph, in cooperation with Brother International Philippines Corporation, Sony Philippines, SM Accessories Character Shop and My|Phone, is proud to present Cosplay Mania ’11! This two-day event will be at the SMX Convention Center Function Rooms 3 to 5, SM Mall of Asia Complex, Pasay City. The event will start at 11am and run up to 9pm for both days.
This event is organized by veteran cosplayers and convention organizers from Cosplay.ph, the country’s biggest online cosplay resource. Cosplay, derived from the terms “costume” and “play,” means exactly that: people dressing up in costumes and engaging in roleplay of their favorite characters. Cosplay has been an inherent part of the local fandom and convention scene since the turn of the century. It has only been going stronger after passing its decade mark. As organized by cosplayers… this event aims to provide an awesome event for fellow cosplayers!
Still Growing on its Fourth Year!
Cosplay Mania was first held in 2008. The first Cosplay Mania had a modest target and a modest venue: a oneday event in Megatrade Hall 3 in the SM Megamall building in Mandaluyong. The response, however, was unprecedented: the one-day event was packed and sold out! The second year, Cosplay Mania doubled the space and activities… and the growth hasn’t stopped since.
For its third year, Cosplay Mania decided to rebrand itself as Cosplay Mania X, with the theme “A Decade of Philippine Cosplay.” The “X” stands for both the Roman numeral for 10 and a move from SM Megatrade Halls to the SMX Convention Center in Pasay City.
This year, instead of simply one Function Hall in SMX, the venue is three times bigger! Featuring 5,200 square meters of space, Cosplay Mania ’11 will be epic in size! The organizers have also strengthened partnerships, not just locally, but internationally. Our sponsors and partners include not just local companies but international ones as well. Our growing list of our international partners include: Anime Festival Asia ’11 as our event partner, Animax as our official regional media partner, Cosplay Gen as our international print media partner, Guidebook as our mobile guide partner, Crypton Future Media (developer of computer music software, Hatsune Miku), Bandai, and Hobby Search.
In order to accommodate our international guests and partners, we have teamed up with Eurotel Hotel, a rising three-star hotel for this event. All Cosplay.ph members and Cosplay Mania ’11 supporters can avail of a 20% discount on all bookings at all Eurotel branches until October 15, 2011. To avail of the 20% discount, bookings must be completed via www.eurotel-hotel.com and enter “20COSPLAYMANIA” in the Discount / Privilege field.
And that’s not all! There are more activities, more exhibitors, more prizes, and more surprises!
Activities for Cosplayers and Cosplay Enthusiasts!
What do we have in store for you?
- Cosplayers compete, pose, and perform onstage in our Project Cosplay: Solo and Group Cosplay Competitions, featuring over 150 individual cosplayers and 5 cosplay groups. This ever-popular competition is a sure crowd-pleaser. Who will be crowned the best cosplayers? Find out at the event!
- Featuring the ultimate test of a cosplayer’s ingenuity, resourcefulness, and costume building talent, the Costume Building Contest is where teams compete head-to-head to create robot costumes on-the-spot and within a 5 hour time limit. All materials are provided by the organizers and only valid tools are used and brought by the participants. Participants then have to compete in challenges designed to take their costumes to the limit!
- Groups of cosplayers do battle in a life-sized chessboard in the intense Cosplay Checkmate! Witness or join this fun and light battle between teams of cosplayers!
- Budding moviemakers create and submit their cosplay videos to compete in the CosTube Contest! Contestants’ creativity is put to the limit. May the best video win!
- The best cosplay photographs from the country’s top cosplay photographers are featured in an amazing photobook via the Cosplay Snapshot Project volume 2.
- Exhibitor booths in their very own hall offer everything a budding cosplayer wants… and more! Make sure you have your wallet and credit cards ready. You never know what bargains you might see here!
- And the much awaited Cosplay Tournament of Champions (TORCH) II Grand Finals!
A Nationwide Event… Leading to International Glory
Cosplay Mania ’11 also features the final round of the Cosplay Tournament of Champions II! Started in 2010 as part of the celebration of a decade of cosplay, the Cosplay Tournament of Champions, or TORCH, was the first truly nationwide cosplay competition.
Cosplayers from around the country competed in different legs with the finalists competing in Cosplay Mania X. This year, there are more legs with more finalist teams competing for the glory! For the months leading up to Cosplay Mania ‘11, cosplayers from around the country have competed in a series of preliminary legs in various SM Malls nationwide. The winning pair from each leg will compete in the Finals and will be judged by a specially-selected panel of international judges, specifically cosplayers of renown throughout Asia.
The winner of the final round will not only receive prizes and the honor of being crowned the champion in this tournament, but will also represent the Philippines as its official entry to the Asian Regional Cosplay Championships in Anime Festival Asia ’11 in Singapore!
Witness the Event!
Be a part of this great event! Buy your tickets now at all SM Cinemas or online at http://www.smtickets.com! We’ll see you at the SMX Convention Center on October 1 and 2, 2011!