Fresh from BlizzCon 2014, Blizzard has announced their newest game.
For the first time in more than 15 years, Blizzard is now release a new gaming franchise with Overwatch; a sci-fi 6 versus 6 multiplayer shooter, featuring characters with unique personalities. The announcement at BlizzCon was first greeted with a 5-minute opening video that would remind you of the latest Pixar movies. Overwatch is set around 60 years in the future, where robots reigned supreme in the entire world a few decades ago and a number of individuals have banded together to form Overwatch. But after peace was restored, the group was disbanded, and a new evil approaches and Overwatch is needed once more.
The game will feature more on team-based game modes instead of the typical deathmatch games, in which the approach is quite similar with Team Fortress 2. The first two game modes confirmed were Payload and Point Capture, Payload lets one team to transfer a bomb to the objective point while the opposition must defend the other team’s advance and prevent the bomb from reaching the target point. Point Capture lets teams battle it out for total control of the map, one team tries to capture certain area points while the other tries to defend it.
Just like in class-based shooters, Overwatch will feature four specific class roles:
- Offensive types can move faster and can deal a lot of damage to opponents
- Defensive types are good on defending key points and can handle crowd control situations, a good class for providing choke points
- Tank types are those who can handle a lot of beating in tough situations, useful for taking the frontlines
- Support types can provide buffs and healing support to the team, a must have for any team as they can provide back up support
So far 12 characters were announced; each with their own weapons, interesting back-stories and unique yet entertaining personalities, listed below are the characters that appeared in the cinematic trailer:
- Tracer, a former British test pilot who shrugs at danger, can execute impossible acrobatic assaults thanks to her ability to teleport, drop energy bombs, and even reverse time.
- Winston, a super-intelligent, genetically engineered gorilla, he is a brilliant scientist and a champion for humanity’s potential.
- The Reaper is an extremely volatile mercenary, a ruthless and remorseless killer responsible for terrorist attacks across the world. He has fought in many armed conflicts in the last decades, showing no loyalty to any cause or organization.
- Widowmaker is the perfect assassin: a patient, ruthlessly efficient killer who shows neither emotion nor remorse.
Overwatch will start its Beta test on 2015, you can sign up for the Beta and learn more about the game by visiting their official website www.playoverwatch.com